- Be specific: When describing your activities in the Common App, provide detailed information about each one. Mention the name of the activity or organization you were involved in, and explain your role and responsibilities within it. For example, if you were part of a club, describe what you did, the events you organized, or any projects you led.
- Highlight achievements: Showcase any notable achievements, awards, or recognition you received during your participation in the activity. This could include winning a competition, receiving a leadership award, or being recognized for your contributions. Describe the impact of your accomplishments on the organization or community.
- Describe growth: Use this opportunity to reflect on how your involvement in the activity helped you grow and develop as an individual. Did you acquire new skills or improve existing ones? Did it boost your confidence, communication abilities, or teamwork skills? Mention any personal or academic growth you experienced.
- Connect to interests and goals: Tie your activities to your passions and future aspirations. Explain how your involvement in each activity aligns with your academic interests or career goals. Admissions officers appreciate seeing a clear connection between your activities and your vision for the future.
- Use numbers and context: To give a more comprehensive view of your involvement, provide specific numbers or statistics related to the activity. For example, if you volunteered for a community service project, mention the number of hours you dedicated or the number of people you helped. Adding context helps admissions officers understand the scale and significance of your contributions.
- Show commitment: If you have been engaged in an activity for an extended period, emphasize your commitment and dedication. Colleges value students who demonstrate long-term involvement and impact in their chosen activities. However, remember that quality matters more than quantity, so focus on a few meaningful activities rather than listing numerous short-term commitments.
- Be authentic and enthusiastic: Let your genuine passion and enthusiasm shine through in your descriptions. Share what excites you about each activity and why you find it meaningful. Admissions officers appreciate students who are genuinely engaged in their pursuits.
- Avoid generic language or exaggeration: While it’s essential to present your activities positively, be honest and straightforward in your descriptions. Avoid using overly vague or clichéd language. Instead, provide specific details and examples to showcase your genuine contributions and impact.
By following these guidelines, you can present a well-rounded picture of your involvement and accomplishments in your Common App activities section, impressing colleges with your genuine enthusiasm and meaningful contributions. And if you need help getting this organized and presented creatively, we are happy to help. Contact us: [email protected] or visit our website www.annapoliscollegeconsulting.com
For even more details on how to showcase your activities, check out our YouTube video with Lifestream Digital.
Need some ideas? Book an appointment with us!
Follow us on social for creative, fun, and motivating content! FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM LINKEDIN TIKTOK